Registered in 1925 as New Zealand’s first camping ground, Tui Glen had been purchased in 1912 by Claude Brookes, a successful engineer. His family worked for several years to clear the land, landscaping, planting trees and shrubs. The first holiday cabin was installed in 1921. Throughout the 1920s playgrounds were built, hire boats brought in, fireplaces installed. By 1930 Tui Glen had become one of Auckland’s major attractions and among the finest picnic and camping areas in NZ.
In 1945 Tui Glen passed over to a company Tui Glen Ltd.
In 1963 Henderson Borough Council took over the running of the camp.
In 2002 Waitakere City Council closed down Tui Glen as a camp ground.
The Tui Glen Scout Hall remain in active service as the Waitoru Zone Training Centre